Friday 3 July 2009

This is it

This is my last post from Cusco, which I am leaving today after three months (!). It feels strange to do so...it has become home in a certain way. I had my last day at school on Wednesday, and was very touched when they organised an assembly in my honour (any excuse to cancel lessons!). As I said to them, the teaching has been a unique and unforgettable experience for me. I will miss it, even with all the excitement up ahead.

Likewise I will miss my host family. They have been unfailingly kind, generous and welcoming, and gaining an insight into their lives has been invaluable. Predictably, at the end of the day they are much like any other family on earth.

Other things I will miss: the rickety Daewoo Tico taxis, and the impromptu parties on the street. The steep cobbled streets of San Blas, and the hills covered in morning mist.

I will not miss the children selling sweets or shining shoes, or the women offering massages on every street corner.

This is it, then. On to new places.

No comments:

Post a Comment