Friday 29 May 2009

One week more

So what's happened in the week since I last wrote in here? Well, I had two days of teaching that only really involved the students doing English exams. The English teacher I'm working with is about to have a baby/ has just had one, so I was on my own. Getting the kids to shut up (to put it bluntly) was challenge enough, not to mention the fact that they were terrible at cheating! I have to say, though, I quite enjoyed catching them. Some had some quite ingenious strategies - and others were just blatant. I feel obliged to say that this did not extend to 1A, who ever since I was padrino to their football team, have more or less adored me. So they were brilliant: no cheating, hardly any talking, which was amazing.

I only had two days of teaching because on Wednesday there was yet another strike - I had been told that lessons were going ahead as normal, but I physically could not get to school. We have however got classes this Saturday, to make up for the two-day strike last week!

Two images struck me from my evenings in Pisac. On Wednesday evening, I turned a corner to find an enormous bull walking straight at me down the street. There were several others wandering seemingly aimlessly through the town. The other image was that of a huge crowd of kids standing in the cold night, transfixed by the movie Ice Age on a TV.

Interesting current event: the famous Peruvian novelist Mario Vargas Llosa is in Venezuela for a forum on liberty. He got detained at Caracas airport for an hour, and now President Chávez has challenged him to a debate on TV - he accepted. Could be very interesting....


Final thing - today I went to the Inca ruins at Ollantaytambo. It's a fortress in the mountains, one of the few places where the Incas won a battle against the Spanish. Very impressive indeed- will try to get photos up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment