Friday 3 April 2009

Day 2

Today has been dominated by pretty boring administrative things. My phone isn´t working, so had to get a Peruvian one, and then also organise everything in my room. At least now I feel like i'm properly set up for a three month stay. There is so much to see and do in this country that it's impossible to cover even half of it in that space of time, particularly since I'm working. But anyway, in the spirit of adventure I'm getting up very early tomorrow morning to go see some Inca ruins above Pisac, and avoid the crowds and the ridiculous ticket price. Am also researching treks to Machu Picchu - the Salkantay trek, which looks the best, costs about $500! Though worth it, I'm sure. And then there's Lake Titicaca, the Colca canyon (deepest in the world!), the Amazon, and countless archaeological sites. All a bit daunting really.

Next week looks like it will be really quite exciting - the Holy Week processions in Cusco apparently have to be seen to be believed.

The altititude seems to be having an effect... got surprisingly out of breath going up stairs this morning! I know I haven't said much about the family and the house yet... there is a lot to say. However I now have to go for lunch - the food here so far has been amazingly low on vegetables. Potatoes, rice, pasta, a bit of meat, and soup, but very little green stuff.

I'm not sure if I'll be posting to this every day, but since Internet costs 2 soles (40p) for an hour, price is not an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment